Week 28

 160905 – 160918 — Total classroom hours – 20

Project parkfinder has turned into AdventureSearch, and by the looks of available domain names, I have a hunch that it will change again. But, luckily, it’s just a name. More importantly, its complete!(ish) When I say complete in this case that doesn’t mean that I will never have to touch it again, but instead that I have accomplished the cards I have assigned to the project and it is in MVP (Minimal Viable Product) stage. It works almost exactly like I had envisioned it, with the user merely clicking a button and the three closes National Parks are then shown. Its rough, but entirely functional. I have ideas on how to improve upon it (include more recreation areas, add more user functions to the park’s individual pages, etc) but I’m going to let it be and see what I can apply to it from my work in the frontend portion of the program that I will be starting next week. Take a look and find the closest three National Parks to you!

http://adventuresearch.herokuapp.com/

My other project over the last two weeks has been to clean up the code of my four main projects I have on GitHub repository. This is definitely one of those scenarios where it would have just been easier to do it right the first time (which is usually my style), but when I’m debugging things I have a tendency to get it working and jump to the next card. I’ve come to realize that in this debugging process I have pretty clean code, but my indentations are terrible. I’ve gotten comments on my ‘proper’ formatting when getting help from people, so it seems that people are looking for it, or that it stands out like a sore thumb if it’s not done properly. With this in mind, and because of a comment from my mentor, I decided that it would be well worth the time to make sure all my code looked as clean as possible, not just functional. I have the links to all my projects github repositories on my resume, so if someone is curious they will dig, and it will be one of their first impressions of my programming abilities. Im positive that I’m not the most efficient programmer, but I can at least be a formatting-conscious one and show my attention to detail.

That leads me to the other work I’ve been doing, networking. Networking my ass off. Its been quite some time since I’ve talked this much about myself. I’m a pretty modest person, so this exercise is something that I have to refamiliarize myself with. It’s been nice though, Ive had 3 or 4 very informal conversations about my intentions and goals of being an intern, and those have been followed quite conveniently later in the week by slightly more formal conversations. If things go well, the formal conversations will turn into the most formal conversations in the way of interviews. Time will tell, and in that time I will keep making moves to help ensure that I get to those most formal of conversations.

I have the next week ‘off’ as I am between programs at the moment, but I don’t intend to just sit around. I’ve got some companies to research as well as some pre-coursework to complete before the frontend program begins. No rest for the weary!

Week 26

160829 – 160904 — Total classroom hours – 9

The end is near. As gloomy as they may sound, in this case it’s a good thing. I have two more weeks of school, then a week ‘off’, then I start the frontend course. Not knowing exactly what to do with my remaining time, I consulted my mentor, I mean, he knows best, right? I expressed to him that doing code challenges for the sake of code challenges wasn’t really something I was all that interested in. I can’t remember if he necessarily agreed with me, be we ultimately came to the conclusion that I should start working on another project.

I had plenty of options, there are like 6 projects I could choose from in the curriculum, I had the group project that I could continue to contribute to, and I also had/have a few ideas floating around for a capstone personal project. He quickly recognized the enthusiasm I have for the personal project, and after helping me flesh out the idea and the stages of development, we decided that was the path I should pursue.

rails new parkfinder -T

And just like that, I’m off. A new project is in the works. It’s going to do a few things for me, mainly keeping me fresh on ruby/rails, especially when I start the frontend program and begin learning another new language. Its also going to be a much different structure from the Bloc.io projects, so it will keep me on my toes and have me asking new questions. There is also a lot of room for growth, so I can keep expanding it as my skills increase. I’ve been thinking about this project for some time and I’m pretty excited to get working on it.